At ComEd, safety is the top priority. As part of ComEd’s commitment to safety, they are closely monitoring developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and taking appropriate precautions to protect the health and safety of customers, employees, and contractors. That’s why they have put Smart Energy Hub field trips on hold until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back soon for updates.
Bring the concept of smart energy to life in an exciting place where abstract concepts become real...the Smart Energy Hub at the ComEd Chicago (CTC) and Rockford (RTC) Training Centers - two great locations! ComEducation is a program that opens the doors of the ComEd training center to teach valuable lessons on the future of energy including learning how Smart Meters and the Smart Grid can put energy in the hands of our communities like never before! Students discover what energy is all about through 6 interactive stations and learn how energy is changing to improve the way we work and play.
• How energy is generated and delivered
• The impact of Smart Meter and Smart Grid technology
• Renewable energy sources including The Power of Solar
• Safety with electricity
• Communities of the future....and more!
Supports STEM Initiatives
The lessons, discussions, and activities throughout this experience support a STEM-based curriculum by emphasizing key concepts in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Age Range & Duration
Grades 1 - 3 | Approximately ~ 60 minutes
Grades 4+ | Approximately ~ 90 minutes
Group Size Limit
Due to space limits, the Smart Energy Hub experience is best for groups of 10 to 32 students both for the Chicago and the Rockford locations with 1 chaperone per 6 students.
Need assistance with a large group, a short notice booking (less than 2 weeks) or a booking for a Saturday? Please call Field Trip Factory directly to discuss options: 800.987.6409
FREE (You are responsible for transportation for your group to/from the event location)
Check Availability & Book It!
→ Please bring field trip permissions slips to the Smart Energy Hub the day of your field trip (available in the Resources Tab above).
→ ComEd kindly requests a 24-hour notice for all cancellations of booked field trips. If you need to cancel or reschedule, please call Field Trip Factory at 800.987.6409 at least 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. Thank you.
→ Scout Groups: Receive a patch for each scout participating in this event!
Code of Conduct:
• Please let FTF know if you cannot make the scheduled day/time.
• Always let us know if your group size is changing.
• Please make sure that you have at least 1 adult chaperone for every 6 students in your group AND that chaperones are ready to help the field trip leader if needed.
• Please call FTF with special requests - Do NOT add them in notes where they may go unseen by the store contact.
• Please arrange transportation to avoid last-minute conflicts and cancellations. Please also ensure your transportation is ready to pick you back up on time!